How To Factory Reset An iPhone or iPad
If you are planning to sell your iPhone to buy a new one or for any other reason the most important thing you need to do is delete all the data that you saved on the device and reset it. Moreover, resetting the iPhone is the best solution to fix minor issues your iPhone has. However, it also deletes all the saved data on your iPhone’s storage. Once you have restored the factory setting you can sell it without having to worry about privacy breach.
In this blog, you will be guided to reset your iPhone or iPad to its factory settings. It is essential to know how to reset your mobile phone in case you have to wipe the data clean. Once you have done this you can freely sell you mobile, pass it on to your sibling or maybe experience the fresh use again without spending a bunch of pounds to buy a new mobile phone. Factory reset surely will make you experience the use of the fresh mobile phone on your old mobile device.
But, in case you are about to sell your mobile phone, you ought to delete all of the sensitive data that is stored on your mobile phone. Now, you might have deleted everything but there might be a chance that they are still saved somewhere in your mobile phone. And if you sell your mobile phone to some unscrupulous buyer, you cannot be certain that how your data will be handled. He might gain access to your profiles or your financial accounts or even your personal pictures and videos. Having access to such sensitive data might put you in danger as he can browse through your private life and even worse, steal your identity! So, wiping out your mobile phone of all sensitive data is very important. And you can do it very easily if you factory reset your mobile phone.
As mentioned earlier that the factory reset not only helps you to remove the data from your phone but also enables you to experience a faster fresher mobile phone use!
Factory reset makes it possible because it helps you resolve the issues occurring in your iPhone or iPad. For instance, if your mobile phone is crashing again and again or freezing every now and then, or whatever the problem your mobile phone is facing, you are not able to diagnose it. All these can be solved by a mere factory reset. As resetting will allow the device to get rid of the problems that were holding back the flow of your mobile phones’ functioning or making it impaired or sluggish. It’s a zero-cost, self-provided service.
Before reaching out to a mobile repairing shop in search of a solution for your mobile phone’s undiagnosed issues, you should try resetting it to its factory settings. But, do not forget to make a necessary back-up of your saved data before wiping it clear.
How to Reset Your iPhone to Factory Settings
If you want to wipe clear your saved data from your iDevice completely, you will be needing to follow the steps mentioned below.
Back up your iPhone FIRST!
Start by backing up your device. If you know the process well and good, but in case you are not aware of the backing up procedure, here is how you do it:
- For creating back-up of stored data on your iOS device, you can either use iCloud or iTunes.
- For iCloud back-up, go to the Settings > iCloud > Backup and enable the feature by clicking the slider green.
You can also check when was your last back-up was made autonomously. You simply have to look under the Back-Up Now option. The time and date will be displayed beneath this option. Anyhow, if you want to make a Back-Up then and there, click the Back-Up Now option and follow the instructions.
- The other way to make a back-Up is through iTunes. To make a Back-Up through iTunes you will be needing to plug your iPhone or your iPad into the PC or iMac. This can be done by utilizing your charging cable. Launch the iTunes app, click on the iPhone or iPad icon on the top left corner that is going to be visible on the iTunes app as soon as you will plug-in.
Factory-Reset Your iPhone
Pheeeww!! Back-Up is done! Now, be confident to proceed as all of your saved data has been saved as a Backed-Up. Once, you have passed this stage, now you are eligible to reset your iDevice to its factory settings that will wipe out your iDevice clear from your up to date saved data.
Now, is time to reset your iPhone or iPad. You merely have to follow the following instructions very carefully.
- To reset your iPhone or iPad, you will be needing to go to the Settings > General > Reset and then select Erase All Content and Settings.
- If you have set any passcode for the security of your mobile phone, you will be required to proceed with this resetting process. As soon as your passcode is demanded, enter it. After typing in your passcode, a warning box will pop out on your screen. It will be providing you with the option in red colour – like a warning, to erase your data from your iPhone or iPad. Tap “Erase iPhone”.
- You will then be required to in put your Apple ID and password to proceed. Once the permission is granted by the owner, everything saved will be wiped off from the storage of your iPad or iPhone. It will take you to the initial setup of the mobile phone that was shown to you the first time you used this mobile phone.
Restore Your Device To Factory Settings
You again have the option here to reset your iPhone or iPad through the application of iTunes. For that, you will obviously need to plug your iPhone or iPad with the PC or iMac through charging cable. After this plug-in, you will be enabled to see the “Restore iPhone” button. Clicking this button will fully reset your iOS device. Let’s review the procedure thoroughly.
1: Launch iTunes on your iMac or PC. Having an access to your PC is not mandatory in this case because you can still erase the saved data and restore your iOS device.
2: Now, connect your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to your computer with the charging cable that came with your device.
3: If you have set any passcode for security purposes, it will be required for the resetting procedure. A message will pop up to ask for your passcode or to “Trust This Computer”.
No need to panic. All you have to do is follow the onscreen steps.
4: Select the icon of your iPhone, iPad, or iPod when it appears in iTunes as shown in the figure below.
5: In the Summary panel, click the Restore device [iPhone, iPad or iPod] button.
6: Your device will not be reset without the confirmation as it is going to reset all of the saved, sensitive data. A confirmatory message will pop up. Once again click on the Restore button to confirm. Then iTunes erases your device and installs the latest iOS or iPod software.
7: After your device restores to factory settings, it restarts. Now you can set it up as new.
Now, your iPhone or iPad will be wiped off and clear from any data that ever got stored on it whilst it was in your use. Your iPad or iPhone can now be compared to a new born baby that has nothing on his record. These steps will enable you to sell your iPhone or iPad with full confidence.